Willegy
Oh willow tree, oh willow tree
As children we remember thee.
We mowed around your great big roots
And from your owls we heard loud hoots.
Endless leaves and boughs and sticks,
Every spring we were forced to pick
For hours on end. It seemed the norm
To curse those wretched Fall wind storms.
From young to old we climbed your arms
To realize, somewhat with alarm,
That though we climbed with great success,
We weren't as quick to find egress.
As children we remember thee.
We mowed around your great big roots
And from your owls we heard loud hoots.
Endless leaves and boughs and sticks,Every spring we were forced to pick
For hours on end. It seemed the norm
To curse those wretched Fall wind storms.
From young to old we climbed your arms
To realize, somewhat with alarm,
That though we climbed with great success,
We weren't as quick to find egress.
Listening to thousands of little sighs;
As the wind caressed your every leaf
We put aside our every grief.
As the wind caressed your every leaf
We put aside our every grief.
Our memories lapsed and thought grew cold.
We forgot you then. Until the end
When as you fell we thought "My friend!
How is it then? How can it be?
That I forgot my willow tree?
We may no longer prune and climb,
But forever you are our tree sublime!"

We forgot you then. Until the end
When as you fell we thought "My friend!
How is it then? How can it be?
That I forgot my willow tree?
We may no longer prune and climb,
But forever you are our tree sublime!"

Now I must voice this elegy



3 Comments:
That was very nice. I'm sorry your tree had to go.
amen.
I was glad someone had pictures of the tree before it was taken down, and enjoyed the "willegy". I tried to print them, but was unsuccessful. Perhaps the author could send us a copy before the inexorable electronic eraser sends them to the great virtual dumpster in the sky.
Post a Comment
<< Home