News Flash: Eating Dried Mangoes and Eggos with Syrup in Same Hour Can Cause Heartburn
I'm anxious to hear how Nathan and Shannon et al are liking their new home now that they're beyond first impressions. Do you have somewhere convenient to get groceries? Are your neighbours noisy at 3 am? Are your rats enjoying the more urban environment? Have you taken the subway downtown and gone skating in Nathan Phillips Square? Have the boys made friends at church? Has Miriam learned how to get out of the apartment? How is Nathan settling in at work? Shannon, do you have visiting teachers yet?
We are mostly well. Dexter is growing and has nice fat legs and a nice round head. To my eyes, he looks bigger at four months than the other boys were. He has certainly been outgrowing his clothes. We think we may have a Len on our hands. Ted has become very independent, and is looking forward to Kindergarten in the fall. He gets lots of exercise and torments his brothers mercilessly. Asher surprised us last week by deciding to audition for a singing part in his school play, "The Jungle Book." I am very proud of him. He normally avoids public displays AT ALL COSTS, and had a nearly fatal bout of nerves beforehand, but he went ahead with it anyway of his own volition (I told him to forget the whole thing and not stress himself) and got the part of Lonnie the singing vulture. Harrison is sad that he did not make the cut for the badminton team at school. I'm just impressed that he tried out. As far as I can remember, the only time I auditioned for anything in my life I was so devastated by the experience that I coudn't even check the list to see if I made it. My boys are much more determined and brave than I am.
Rob is engrossed in teaching. He is glad to be through with midterms. Hmm, I'll bet Angela feels the same way. Angela, are you ever going to be able to take an elective that's not science or math? I am looking forward to the end of the term myself, because Rob's time will be more flexible and thus mine will be as well. Rob heard on the radio news that Emmanuel Sandhu had fallen multiple times during his program at the skating championships going on here, then the announcer said, "Oh, wait, that's not news." Poor guy. I have heard that Ralph Klein is hinting at another round of prosperity bonus cheques next year. If you all move here now, you'll be eligible. The oil sands appear to be doing well for us. Anyone need a job?
We are mostly well. Dexter is growing and has nice fat legs and a nice round head. To my eyes, he looks bigger at four months than the other boys were. He has certainly been outgrowing his clothes. We think we may have a Len on our hands. Ted has become very independent, and is looking forward to Kindergarten in the fall. He gets lots of exercise and torments his brothers mercilessly. Asher surprised us last week by deciding to audition for a singing part in his school play, "The Jungle Book." I am very proud of him. He normally avoids public displays AT ALL COSTS, and had a nearly fatal bout of nerves beforehand, but he went ahead with it anyway of his own volition (I told him to forget the whole thing and not stress himself) and got the part of Lonnie the singing vulture. Harrison is sad that he did not make the cut for the badminton team at school. I'm just impressed that he tried out. As far as I can remember, the only time I auditioned for anything in my life I was so devastated by the experience that I coudn't even check the list to see if I made it. My boys are much more determined and brave than I am.
Rob is engrossed in teaching. He is glad to be through with midterms. Hmm, I'll bet Angela feels the same way. Angela, are you ever going to be able to take an elective that's not science or math? I am looking forward to the end of the term myself, because Rob's time will be more flexible and thus mine will be as well. Rob heard on the radio news that Emmanuel Sandhu had fallen multiple times during his program at the skating championships going on here, then the announcer said, "Oh, wait, that's not news." Poor guy. I have heard that Ralph Klein is hinting at another round of prosperity bonus cheques next year. If you all move here now, you'll be eligible. The oil sands appear to be doing well for us. Anyone need a job?
1 Comments:
Woo hoo Asher! Will there be a video available, for those of us who can't make it to AB for the performance?
We still like it here. I've found grocery stores that are close that aren't the fancy Loblaws that's a block away.
Neighbours -- not noisy. We have the elevator on one side, the stairwell on the other, the missionaries across the hall, and we're on the top floor. There is a guy who plays the violin who likes to practise in the stairwell, which I woke up to at 5:30 one of the first days we were here. He hasn't played that early since then, though.
The rats are no longer with us. They have gone on to that great smorgasbord in the sky (that's a Charlotte's Web reference, just to be clear). They usually only live a year, two if they are well-treated and very healthy. Our cat is enjoying watching the pigeons out the window.
The boys have taken the subway once with Nathan. I haven't gone at all. I'm a little worried about getting lost down there with three kids. We will have to go soon, though -- it goes right to a children's library and I have my updated license, so I can go get a card now.
The boys have made friends at church. They thoroughly enjoy primary. I was worried about Solomon settling in, since it took him 10 1/2 months to stay in sharing time without me, and I wandered around the halls the first week with Miriam, listening for forlorn sobbing from him. Apparently, he was totally happy and hamming it up through class and sharing time. Darwin complains a bit about one of the boys in his class who always sits with him and bugs him, but I'm sure he has a part to play in that, too.
No VTers yet. We have had Jehova's Witnesses a couple of times. I was looking forward to a bit more security from door-to-door solicitors in an apartment building vs. the townhouse -- no more guilt-trips for money from people holding our door open in the freezing cold, or people from shady hydro companies trying to get me to show them our bill and scare us into signing up with them, or people asking if my MOMMY is home -- but so far, no one who has come to our door has actually been buzzed in by me.
Al, don't you know, the more people you lure to AB, the smaller your cut of the prosperity money will be? Besides, if money could lure us to AB, it would be the provincial funding for homeschoolers, which is paid out monthly, not a yearly prosperity cheque.
Post a Comment
<< Home