Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Not asparagus after all...

[Nathan] It took them until the second day to tell me what I'll be doing. I'm working in the Business Window division of Taxpayer Services. I will be helping corporations with payroll, EI, CPP, GST, and excise tax questions. The building I'm in is pretty cool - it has a subway stop in the basement, so I don't have to go outside... exept I don't have anywhere to go on the subway, so I mostly go down there to see how the blind people figure out where the platform ends. They are pretty good at it - I'd say over 96% accurate.
Our computers are all state-of-the-art, with large flat-panel displays etc, which would be alright if we were running software that was less than 15 years old. It seems like a waste to have a room full of P4s running dos-based applications that could easily run on a scientific calculator. Well at least there is something tangible for the money - it's better than slow computers and $200M-worth of Sponsorship advertisements on the walls.
I have been looking at a few apartments every day after work, with random results. I was in one almost-reasonably-priced unit and noticed a small poster detailing remuneration policies for "tenants whose units are scheduled for demolition with less than 30 days notice" and decided to look elsewhere. Oh and if you heard about the two people that were shot (one survived) on the road where I work, I'll mention that the police caught the suspects, so the city should be safe again. I wouldn't want anyone to worry. Either way, it was several blocks down the street, not in front of my building. Population-wise it was three Saskatchewans away, so it barely made the news at my end of the street. It's a long drive, but it's nice and quiet coming back to London every night. Off to bed... after a cookie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

heavens to betsy, nathan, that's a lot of commuting. i hope you find something a municipality or two closer to work soon. (soon is a weird word. it doesn't look like it should be english. soon. soon. soon.) cool that you have a job where you use the word "excise." not many people do, you know.

7:38 a.m.  
Blogger ms said...

What are yous talkin' about?
I excise alls the time at muh job... liftin' stuff... runnin' places...

9:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home